January 2nd, 1788 was the year Georgia became the 4th of the original colonies to become a state in the Union.
1879 was the year a flag was introduced to Georgia by state senator Herman H. Perry to memorialize Confederate soldiers that served in the American Civil War. Georgia’s first flag was a simple blue bar down the left-hand side and the alternating red and white bars on the remainder, resembling the “Stars and Bars” flag of the Confederacy. Added to the simple blue bar on the left-hand side in 1902 was the state’s coat of arms. By 1904, Georgia’s coat of arms began to appear in a white shield with gold outline together with a red ribbon. On the ribbon the word, “GEORGIA,” was written below the shield.